3/4 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant)
1/4 cup choppped nuts (I used walnuts, but whatever you like)
2 T flaxseeds (I could not find this at Target...found flax meal which can't be right, but oh well)
2 T sunflower or pumpkin seeds
**Spread the above on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Stir at least once during toasting. Cool completely.**
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking powder
1/4 t cinnamon
** Combine the above three ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.**
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1/2 cup dried fruit (I used cranberries but any would work)
Combine the oil and brown sugar in a large bowl until smooth.
Add the egg and vanilla.
Stir in the flour mixture just until combined.
Stir in the oats and dried fruit.
Pour into a greased 8" square pan and bake 20-25 minutes.
Pretty good warm with a glass of milk!
4 comments:
This sounds so healthy and yummy. Big D and I will shop for ingredients. We will try subbing Splenda, so he can enjoy them. If they do not turn out using Splenda(as my failed banana bread that Eli loved)
then, I will use the brown sugar.
We have been wanting to cook with wheat flour anyway...so, this is a good time.
love
Meme
Let me know how it turns out!
The Granola Bars turned out great using Splenda. I used diced, dried prunes (low sugar content) and sunflower seeds, along with pecans (did not have walnuts on hand)...then used the rest ingredients according to recipe.We ate them in no time. It really is a healthy treat.
Thanks for sharing.
love...Meme and Big D
Mary Jo and E. D. were here for the weekend. I made the granola bars and they really enjoyed them. She got the recipe. Your Dad likes them...he said it almost sounded too healthy for him (ha.)He ask to take some home.
Your blog is just wonderful...
love
Meme and Big D
Post a Comment