Fort Worth, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas
Stockyard Cattle Drive

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Animal Park



Meredyth, Baird, Eli, and I went to Fossil Rim Animal Park the Friday before Labor Day weekend. (We haven't swapped pics yet...I snapped pics of Meredyth and she of me, so hopefully she won't mind me putting her on our blog.) Fossil Rim is a huge animal sanctuary that you drive through to look at (and sometimes feed) the animals up close. Each car is allowed one bag of feed. We had never been before, and I tell you, I think Meredyth and I had even more fun than our boys did!! There were some seriously hysterical moments during the course of our trip!



The BEST part of this fun day was by far the magnificent giraffes!! We had two that came right up to the car, put their heads down through the sun roof and ate the animal feed right out of our hands!! Have you ever hand fed a giraffe??? It is so awesome. What gentle giants! They pretty much scared the boys due to their enormous size, though. One of the hysterical moments of the day occurred when Meredyth didn't hand the feed up fast enough, so the giraffe sent his tongue down to get it...who knew a giraffe tongue was so long (and gross!)?! Sorry, Mer....I wasn't going to post this pick, but too funny.






We saw zebras, rhinos, buffalo, and all kinds of antelope and deer. Many of the animals were certainly not shy about approaching the vehicles which allowed us some very entertaining encounters. However, the 2nd most interesting animal we came across was the ostrich. I had heard a couple aggressive ostrich stories and wasn't about to give one an opportunity to stick his long snake neck into my window, ha! They don't seem so scary standing afar, but when they get close they are really unnerving!



This is definitely a trip I want to make again soon. Next time we will take Aaron with us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Big Daddy and I just felt we were right there helping to feed the animals...that is awesome! It reminded me of the commercial of a family feeding the animals and the elephant comes up and sits on the hood of the car.
It almost looked as though you guys were in Africa on a safari. The boys expressions were priceless. What a blessing to have fun with friends...real friends.
love Meme and Big Daddy (aka:Bibby)

sarahandmatt said...

That looks so fun! If you ever want to go with us, give me a shout!

Stacey said...

Absolutely! I would love to go again soon!